Durga Shah Municipal Public Library was establshed before the Independence
of India by late Shri Mohan Lal Shah in the year 1933 - 34 when
there was no public library in Nainital.
Durga Shah Municipal Public Library library was made by the money donated
by late Shri Mohan Lal Shah and the name was kept after his father late
Shri Durga Lal Shah as the Durga Lal Shah public library. After sometime
this library was counted among the best libraries in Northen India with
a collection of various priceless and different variety of books.
Later the president of municipal board changed the name to municipal public
library by saying that the municipal board gives more money for the purchase
of books every year than what Shri. Mohan Lal Shah had donated. Shri.
Mohan Lal Shah did'nt cash the cheque and returned it to the municiple
board. later on 30th August 1946 the name of the library was renamed back
as the Durga Lal Shah Municipal Public Library by the order of the U.P.
Thus the work of Shri
Mohan Lal Shah brought true colours for the people 0f Nainital and they
still avail the facilities of this Library and take it as the blessings
of Shri Mohan Lal Shah.